Round 2 - Brands Hatch

Everquip Racing

Round 2 - Brands Hatch


It was a very mixed weekend for the Everquip Yamaha team at round two of the Dickies British Supersport Championship at the Brands Hatch Indy Circuit. American James Rispoli took a ninth place in race one and in race two he secured the team's first podium with a fantastic second place. His team-mate Bjorn Estment had a tough weekend and finished race one in 20thand was forced to retire in race two.


The weather conditions varied throughout the weekend and the pair had to work around these changing conditions. Qualifying was dry and James qualified 10th for race one and Bjorn in 19th. Race one on Saturday was dry and James dropped a position after the opening lap and Bjorn gained a position.


The race was red flagged due to an oil spillage and they soon got underway again. A better start for James saw him up to seventh and Bjorn 18th. James was locked in a battle with David Allingham and Dan Stamper for eighth position, eventually finishing the 16 lap race in ninth. Bjorn was struggling with set-up on the bike and was in a lonely 20th place where he finished.


For race two James was placed in eighth on the grid and Bjorn in 20th. The race originally started dry and James got another fantastic start and was in fifth place after lap one but Bjorn had already dropped to 24th. By lap six James was in a podium position in third and looking strong, Bjorn was working his way back through the field and was 19th after lap eight.


The race was red flagged on lap 14 due to heavy rain on one part of the circuit. They lined up on the grid in the position they were at the time of the red flag and the race was re-started with the majority of the field on dry tyres. James shot out the blocks and led the first few laps, he was being pushed hard by Jack Kennedy and Ben Currie. James held his own in difficult conditions to finish in a fantastic second place, Bjorn was forced to retire on lap 10 due to a technical problem.


James Rispoli - "We have a massive amount of emotions at the minute. The race was insane; to be no where all weekend and to gain a podium was incredible. We knew we had the pace but one sector of the track was catching me out. Andy made some changes for morning warm-up and the bike felt great.


I got an amazing start in race two, I could see Kennedy and Currie and I was able to put in some really consistent laps. After the red flag I was worried it was going to unsettle my rhythm.


It was spitting with rain on the re-start, even on the out lap I had a moment. I knew Kennedy and Currie were fast. I got an amazing start and just had to figure out the track conditions but I had the grip so I told myself I needed to push on.


We pulled away a little; I was leading most of the race and felt really comfortable doing it. Jack came past and he was stronger in a couple of places than me. The rain started to fall a bit heavier towards the end of the race but it was important to finish the race where I was and not do anything stupid.


This second place felt like a win, it has been so long since I was last on the podium. I can't thank people enough for always standing by me and also the Everquip team for providing me with a great bike."